Kumanan Rasanathan a & Rüdiger Krech a
Tackling noncommunicable diseases by addressing social determinants of health
Implementing a social determinants approach
Priorities for action
- Commission on Social Determinants of Health. Closing the gap in a generation: health equity through action on the social determinants of health: Commission on Social Determinants of Health final report. Geneva: World Health Organization; 2008.
- World Health Organization. 2008-2013 action plan for the global strategy for the prevention and control of noncommunicable diseases. Geneva: World Health Organization; 2008.
- World Health Organization. The global burden of disease 2004 update. Geneva: World Health Organization; 2008.
- World Health Organization. WHO report on the global tobacco epidemic, 2008 the MPOWER package. Geneva: World Health Organization; 2008.
- Pekka P, Pirjo P, Ulla U. Influencing public nutrition for non-communicable disease prevention: from community intervention to national programme – experiences from Finland. Public Health Nutr 2002; 5: 245-51 pmid: 12027291.
- Tobias M, Blakely T, Matheson D, Rasanathan K, Atkinson J. Changing trends in indigenous inequalities in mortality: lessons from New Zealand. Int J Epidemiol 2009; 38: 1711-22 doi: 10.1093/ije/dyp156 pmid: 19332501.
- Wilkinson P, Smith KR, Davies M, Adair H, Armstrong BG, Barrett M, et al., et al. Public health benefits of strategies to reduce greenhouse-gas emissions: household energy. Lancet 2009; 374: 1917-29 doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(09)61713-X pmid: 19942273.
- Commission on Macroeconomics and Health. Macroeconomics and health : investing in health for economic development: report of the Commission on Macroeconomics and Health. Geneva: World Health Organization; 2001.
- Social determinants of health: the solid facts. 2nd ed. Copenhagen: World Health Organization Regional Office for Europe; 2003.
- Lönnroth K, Castro KG, Chakaya JM, Chauhan LS, Floyd K, Glaziou P, et al., et al. Tuberculosis control and elimination 2010-50: cure, care, and social development. Lancet 2010; 375: 1814-29 doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(10)60483-7 pmid: 20488524.
- Effros RB, Fletcher CV, Gebo K, Halter JB, Hazzard WR, Horne FM, et al., et al. Aging and infectious diseases: workshop on HIV infection and aging: what is known and future research directions. Clin Infect Dis 2008; 47: 542-53 doi: 10.1086/590150 pmid: 18627268.